7.1.05

The Arcade Fire and The Verlaines

The Arcade Fire's debut album 'Funeral' released in America in September 2004 on Merge Record, is set for a UK release on Rough Trade on 28th February.

And what an album it is, the 'Neighbourhood' suite of songs are glorious slices of indie which reference New Zealand bands such as The Verlaines and The Chills.

But it's the song Wake Up that's featured here:

The Arcade Fire - Wake Up

more information about the band can be found on the Merge Records website.

Speaking of The Verlaines, here are a couple of pieces of genius from them. First up This Valentine from their 1993 album Way Out Where

This Valentine

and secondly Hanging By Strands from the 1996 album Over The Moon

Hanging By Strands

The excellent unofficial website has more information about the band.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

Is it me or is there another attraction to the Arcade Fire? I have, ahem, downloaded their album and EP via orher blog links and for the life of me cannot understand the good reviews coming over from the States.

Thinking it's a difference in perception in the ear department!

8 January 2005 at 09:04  
Blogger blair said...

Although I haven't gotten through the entire album yet I have to agree with Tom. I feel like I'm missing something. I also don't get the comparison to the Verlaines (mentioned on Amazon). Maybe I need to listen more...

Nah, I'd rather just listen to the Verlaines. :)

8 January 2005 at 14:42  
Blogger Anti Hero said...

I think it's a good album, more like a new band like The Shins, maybe, than The Verlaines anyway. Musically especially, I think it has a feel that made me sit up and take notice, rather than just floating by as background noise. my favourite songs are towards the middle/end of the album Wake Up and Rebellion (lies)

what do you think of The Verlaines, Tom? do you like them?

8 January 2005 at 18:03  
Blogger Tom said...

I have got to say they passed me by. In the early 90's I was into only Warp/K7 Records and the like missing a lot of guitar bands - too many in fact!

8 January 2005 at 21:21  
Blogger Anti Hero said...

no worries Tom, in truth The Verlaines passed nearly everyone by! I have only recently got into them, well in the past 2 years or so. they split up mid/late 90's, very good band though, if chiming-indie guitars, with intelligent lyrics are your thing. which it is for me! I was lucky kristallhjÀrta who just commented here got me into them so I'm just spreading the word even further! well worth checking out, that's for sure - if you want some more songs drop me an email and I'll see what I can do :)

8 January 2005 at 21:26  

Post a Comment

<< Home